Friday, April 22, 2005

Three holes from the end

I have "issues" with my girth. I don't feel heavy. I don't feel overweight. So I don't have weight issues. My clothes and my mirror beg to differ, however. I have a belt that I have worn for about six or seven years. At my skinniest, the belt is on the fifth hole from the end. When I'm at my portliest like, say, now, the belt fastens at the third hole from the end. When the belt fastens here, it is the official fat tub o' lard stage for me and signals the beginning of another round of diets. The last one I tried was the Atkins diet. A diet that worked very well for me as far as weight loss went, but it made me constipated and I was cranky and got sick easier. So I'm currently trying what I refer to as the non-diet diet. I belong to a gym (more to follow about that later . . .) and I try to work out five days a week including 35 minutes of cardiovascular work on a stationary bike. That coupled with not being a complete psychopath about eating is what I hope will take me to my goal. It worked for me before.

I find the whole diet/weight thing an interesting study in human behavior. Why do we eat way too much, exercise way too little, become disgusted with ourselves, wonder how we got this way and how we get out of it--then spend our money on products, books and experts to tell us to eat less and exercise more? The diet and exercise industry is a multi-billion dollar practice in irony. We pay people to tell us what we already know. Sure, the experts can break it down for us to the molecular level, but deep down inside, we all know that the reason we're fat is because we deposited more than we've withdrawn from our calorie accounts. They can give us all the physiology of how exercise works and why sugar and fat turn us into three holes from the enders, but they don't tell us anything new. So, why do we spend the money? Maybe, like me, we're all trying to avoid paying for our laziness; which is another part of the study in human (and only human) behavior. You don't see monkeys in the jungle pinching the flab on their guts or looking at their hind parts in the water to see if their hiney sticks out too much. They're too busy eating and running around in the jungle. Sometimes our superior intellect can be a real liability. but thats a different subject on which there will be . . .



more to follow . . .

No comments: