Saturday, May 07, 2005

One more day . . .

Its interesting how life can change in a single moment and rearrange perspectives. I don't spend as much time as I should with my kids. I don't appreciate my wife as much as she deserves. I'm not as thankful as I should be for the things I have.

I had an accident on my way to work yesterday. It was on a two-lane US highway with a bad reputation for its hazardous conditions. There are several fatalities per year on this highway for various reasons. The accident was my fault. I simply made some wrong assumptions based on what the driver was doing and rear-ended his vehicle. Mostly we're both fine, although I think he got injured the most. I have a dislocated thumb, a sore chest where I hit the steering wheel, and a really stiff neck. The other driver was already feeling pain in his back and neck by the time the paramedics arrived. I was traveling at about 70 miles per hour when I hit the brakes, so the only real van we have is totalled. As bad as I feel about the entire situation-- Me hitting another vehicle, the other driver getting hurt, me ruining my families main mode of transportation along with the only way for me to get to work, I was able to come home and hug my wife and kids again. I was able to say one more prayer to God for all the blessings I have. I was able to spend another night lying next to my sweet wife and hear her breathing as she slept. And finally, I was able to wake up today and make waffles for my son's birthday (its his seventh, but who's counting) and smell the rain of spring for one more day.


More to follow . . .

No comments: